Friday, May 25, 2012

Mango Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting


Each month, we get an order from the Community Co-Op. Even though we always give it a good try, it's been known to happen in our home for the fruits and vegetables to sit on the counter or in the fridge until they go bad and have to be thrown out. Quite often the reason is we receive some sort of fruit or vegetable we have no idea what to do with. Take last month, for example, where we received a bunch of leeks. What do you do with those? I think the only time I've ever had leeks was when it was served with something I had ordered in a restaurant. So, Katie went searching for recipes and found a really good leek and cauliflower soup. We've discovered something new.

This gave me an idea. I've given myself the challenge to try and use something each month from our co-op order in a recipe and post it here.

Last week, we received a bunch of mangoes. The only time I have had mangoes was in a mango lassi (a sort of Indian smoothie). Our fourteen year-old, Liam, is the smoothie maker of the family. Maybe I'll have him someday do a guest post on either mago lassis or one of his many creative flavor creations. 

I, however, wanted to use the mangoes in something else. As it turns out, there was another birthday at the office—perfect opportunity to try a new dessert. Caving into pressure to join the cupcake craze, I chose to try out mango cupcakes. 

Happy Birthday, Julie Anne!

The hardest thing about the cupcakes is cutting up the mangoes. I learned how from this guy here. Everyone at the office loved the cupcakes. The mango flavor is really nice, and the cupcakes were very moist. The cream cheese frosting was a perfect compliment. I flavored it with vanilla extract, but if you want to go with a Caribbean theme, I think rum extract would work well.


The cupcakes did stick to the paper liners a bit. I think next time I'll try spraying the liners with a cooking spray.
All in all, this turned out to be a keeper recipe, and I tried something new with mangoes. I'm excited to see what we get in our next co-op order. 


Mango Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
  • 2 ½ cups peeled and mashed ripe mangoes (4 to 5)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsps. baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a mixing bowl, combine mangoes, sugar and eggs. Add in flour, baking soda, and vanilla, and mix until combined.


Fill cup cake liners 2/3 full with batter. Bake in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes or until pick comes out clean. After 10 minutes, remove from pan and let cool completely on cooling rack. Frost with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • ¼ cup butter, softened
  • 2 ¼ cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla or rum extract
In a mixing bowl, combine ingredients and mix well.

3 comments:

  1. Pg Slot รวม ตลาดเกมออนไลน์ในขณะนี้นั้นเติบโตขึ้นอย่างเร็วจนกระทั่งไม่ได้นึกฝัน pg slot มีผู้เล่นมากมายก่ายกองสนใจกับเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ด้วยเหตุว่าสามารถสร้างผลกำไรอย่างมากมาย

    ReplyDelete
  2. ทางเข้า luckyall99 ออนไลน์ที่มีความน่าเชื่อถือและได้รับความนิยมจากผู้เล่นมากมายทั่วโลก pg slot โดยเว็บไซต์นี้มีเกมออนไลน์สนุกสนานและสามารถชนะเงินรางวัลได้อย่างมากมาย

    ReplyDelete
  3. เกม myplay 168 หลังจากนั้น ท่านจะเห็นแบบฟอร์มสมัครสมาชิก ให้กรอกข้อมูลที่ถูกต้องตามที่ระบุไว้ในแบบฟอร์ม pg slot รวมถึงชื่อผู้ใช้งาน (username), รหัสผ่าน (password), ชื่ในปัจจุบันนี้

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I'll try and respond soon.